Saturday 3 March 2012


Spinach and Onion Pakoras

I absolutely love Indian food but for most of my life I was too scared to attempt to make it myself. Fortunately, I discovered some dishes that are incredibly easy to put together - like these delicious pakoras! I tinkered with the recipe quite a bit until I got what I consider to be the ideal flavour combination. Despite the fact that they are deep fried, I tried to convince my girlfriends that they are healthy (because of the vegetable content)....they weren't buying it. But the best things in life never are!



Ingredients:


1 bunch spinach
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 green chillis, finely chopped
1 cup chickpea flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp tumeric
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chilli powder
oil for frying


Directions:


Mix together your spinach, onions and green chillis in a large bowl. Add chickpea flour, salt, tumeric, sugar and chilli powder and mix together. Add in water, a few tablespoons at a time, until your mixture reaches a sticky texture. Do not add too much water. You want the mixture to stick together, but not be runny and fall apart.


Heat your oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Drop fritters of any size into the oil to deep dry - I usually use a soup spoon and make my fritters one scoop each. They can be flat or round - however you prefer! Keep them in the oil until they turn golden brown - or a deeper brown if you like them crispy like me. You will likely need to flip them during the process as well.


Once they are fried, transfer them to a paper towel to absorb excess oil.


You can server these with a variety of different sauces and they will all taste delicious. I have a serving tool that holds three different sauces, so I've been really into serving snacks with a trio of flavours. The last time I served these, I used tamarind chutney, mango chutney, and tempura dipping sauce. Thai chilli sauce tastes great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment