Monday 6 February 2012

The 8 Days of the Super Bowl

The Superbowl is a great opportunity for cooking AND sports lovers, like myself, to put on a great party and combine your two interests. Personally, during most of the year I find myself cooking for my girlfriends, and I try to make my recipes more gourmet. For the Super Bowl, I have all my male friends over, and it gives me the chance to experiment with some new recipes that are more pub-style, which can be a fun change.

To celebrate this great occasion, I'll be posting 8 different recipes that I prepared for my Super Bowl party (4 this week, and 4 next week). This week I'll cover the mains, and next week the apps.

I started planning my menu weeks in advance. More and more people seem to be coming up with eating specifications - I found myself having to work with people who had the following restrictions: could not eat beef, could not eat pork, could not eat meat, could not eat non-Halal meat, could not eat shellfish, could not eat gluten, could not eat dairy. Damn! I thought the best approach would be to provide a variety of dishes instead of trying to conform them all to follow those restrictions. For mains, I thought a great option could be my veggie burgers, a recipe which I've been perfecting over the past 6 months and which has gotten a lot of great feedback. Those burgers would satisfy a lot of the restrictions above. But serving burgers at a Super Bowl party? I wanted everything to be finger food, to minimize mess and cleanup. So I made the burgers into sliders! Once I got that idea, I decided my main course would be a trio of sliders: Veggie Burger sliders, Chi-key (chicken + turkey) Burger sliders, and Pulled Pork sliders.  I served them with pizza and fresh rolls, and it ended up being the perfect amount of food for 12 hungry men. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment